Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bling

Among my confessions, I have to confess to watching an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress".  (Oh, also one of Hoarders, but that is a topic for another day.)  On the episode of Say Yes to the Dress that I watched (with both of my boys), this perfectly awful mother of the bride looks at her daughter in a tasteful multi-thousand dollar dress, turns her nose up at it and says in a nasally new yorker accent, "Don't ja want something more bling-ee?"  And remember to say the "g" in "bling-ee" just to get the full effect.  She then goes on to say the word "blingy" repeatedly as if as a secret taste talisman. 

Should could not have been more wrong.

Nonetheless, Single Speed Kid 1, Single Speed Kid 2 and I, Single Speed Dad, have all agreed to make our bikes at least a little bit bling-ee, by considering the purchase of some of these parts that are available in multiple colors:

  • Handlebar grips
  • Handlebars (yes, they come in 20 colors)
  • Stems
  • Brakeset levers/accents (yes, some brakes come with different color options)
  • Cable Housing
  • Disc Brake Rotors
  • Bottom Brackets
  • Chain Rings
  • Bottle cages
  • Seatposts
  • Seatpost collars
  • Saddles
  • Cogs
  • Chains
  • Pedals
So, yes, on a single speed bike, the only thing that I haven't found in multiple color options is a crankset, although you can choose between materials with different colors and chain guards/bashers in different colors.  Frankly, I had no idea that so many of these parts had so many options.  I'm surprised there isn't a whole group of people devoted just to the Victorian Painted Lady concept of bikes.  Why are there Tall Bike Clubs, but no Painted Lady Bike and Tattoo Clubs?  I would think tattoos and garishly mixed colors on bike parts would attract at least 352 people across America, which is exactly the minimum required to start an internet thing.

Anyway, I had the idea that putting a couple of red parts on my raw aluminum and raw carbon fiber fork bike would add some color and "style", but I didn't realize that I could buy virtually every part for the bike that way.  And I didn't realize that doing all of it would be as easy as saying to Steve, "Hey, I want a red ____" and he would pick one up out of a cabinet or show it to me in a catalog inside of 60 seconds.  Who knew?

Not me.

Single Speed Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment