Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Cycling Life - SSK2

Cycling has been a part of my life from a very young age.  Waking up early to watch the Tour is one of my earliest memories.  My Dad was obsessed with it and even if I didn't want to, it dominated most mornings in July.

I was unwilling to learn to ride myself, though, until I was seven, but I have enjoyed watching the sport from a very young age.  I used to watch only the Tour, but now I watch the Tour, the Giro, the Vuelta (sometimes), Paris-Roubaix (my personal favorite), Fleche-Walone, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Tour of California, and a few other road races.  Recently, I have begun to watch cyclocross, and over the past week have seen a few races of the World Cup series.  Cyclocross looks hard, but fun. 

My past favorite riders include Lance Armstrong, Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso, and Jens Voigt (who still ranks among my favorites).  My current favorites include the Schleck brothers, Lars Boom (who is a great cyclocross as well as road rider), Edvald Boassen-Hagen, and Fabian Cancellara.  

My personal cycling career began with a Trek Mountain Cub that at first I refused to ride without training wheels and elbow and knee pads.  I was sure that I was going to get hurt and didn't like that idea.  [Editor's Note - The famous crash of Joseba Beloki (the one where Armstrong rode through the fields) was seared into the young memory of SSK2 and I think impacted his willingness to learn our dangerous sport.]

My next bike featured flames and a T-Rex horn, which was the bike I really learned to ride on.  When I outgrew that little kid's bike, I got my present mountain bike, which is my primary bike.  Mostly because my Dad is a bit crazy, in August, I received a Trek Madone 1.2 for my birthday, which I was only able to ride a few times before it got too cold.  [Editor's Note - We live in a place that every ride over 10 blocks long involves a highway, so it reduces opportunities for road riding at this point.] 

I enjoy riding my mountain bike on the high drive bluff often and my road bike whenever I get the chance.  We have mostly ridden on trails for longer rides (it's like my Dad doesn't trust me on the highway or something).  I have gotten to ride on the Fish Lake Trail a few times and I have ridden the entirety of the Trail of the Coeur d' Alene's with the whole family over the course of a few weekends.  We took 4 different days of go-to-a-specified-point-and-turn-around-and-come-back-for-about-30-miles-total riding each time.

At thirteen, this is about the entirety of my cycling career.  Lot of fun riding, lots of races watched, and looking forward to countless rides over my entire life.
Single Speed Kid 2

No comments:

Post a Comment