Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Leadville 100

Last year I was basking in the glow of having finished the Leadville 100.  For those of you not familiar with this race, it is a mountain bike race.  Well, that doesn't really tell the tale.  It's more like this, it is a really effin hard mountain bike race.  It starts in Leadville, Colorado, the highest incorporated city in the United States.  And, by the way, a few miles outside of the city limits is the lowest spot on the course.  From there it is a 50-mile out and back course that involves 14,000 feet of climbing, five major climbs including the 10-mile climb to the high point of the course at 12,500' elevation.  So, like I said, it is an effin hard mountain bike race.

This year I know two guys who did the race.  One who has a drawer full of race finisher belt buckles already and one who conquered the mo-fo this year on a single speed in 10 hours 16 minutes.  Which is damn quick for this course and too much on a single speed.

This year these two guys have also decided to taunt me about not being there in Colorado to do the race with them.  Of course, I haven't complained about all those times I was on bar stools and they weren't there with me, but for some reason they think they have a right to harass me about it.

In any case, I am sitting down to hear their stories tomorrow night and am looking forward to it.  Even if they are going to pitch me a bunch of sh_t for not showing up at the start line this year.  Now, about next year . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment